Hands On Charlotte's Martin Luther King, Jr. Call to Service
Saturday, January 14, 2017, 12:00 - 2:00 PM
Each January, Hands On Charlotte honors the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by organizing service projects for hundreds of volunteers on and around the holiday that bears his name. These projects not only deliver valuable assistance to nonprofit organizations, schools and other service providers around the area, but also allow participants to kick off the New Year by reflecting on the meaning of Dr. King’s life of service for today’s America.
HOC worked with the City of Charlotte and other partner organizations again this year to host the 2017 Carolinas HealthCare System Martin Luther King, Jr. National Holiday Celebration, a series of community events throughout the MLK holiday weekend, including the MLK Holiday Parade and our MLK Call to Service. These events are made possible by the support of Carolinas HealthCare System, Food Lion, McDonald's, and WBTV.
In 2017, our MLK Call to Service featured volunteer opportunities at three local schools (East Mecklenburg High School, Piedmont Open IB Middle School, and Blythe Elementary School), giving nearly 700 volunteers the opportunity to come together in a spirit of service and friendship while paying tribute to the legacy of Dr. King.
Here are some of the family-friendly onsite service projects that were offered, and some of the nonprofit partners they will benefit:
- Packing hygiene kits for distribution to nonprofits serving Charlotte's homeless population (at Blythe Elementary only; this project was made possible by the support of Target)
- Crafting bookmarks, "magic reading carpets", and "bookworm buddies", and writing "bookworm letters" for Promising Pages
- Crafting candygrams for schools and child-serving agencies
- Weaving jumpropes using plastic grocery bags, and making kids' candygrams for ourBRIDGE the Southeast Asian Coalition, and the YMCA
- Crafting doggy chew toys and bandanas for Holly'z Hope, FurBabies Animal Rescue, and CMPD Animal Care & Control
- Writing Valentine's Day cards and other cards of enocuragement for the Love in Action Project
- Crafting baby blankets for Baby Bundles
- Making paracord keychains and zipper pulls for the USO of NC and VFW Post 9488
- Assembling Door Hanger Bags for the American Red Cross
►MLK CALL TO SERVICE INFO