The eighth edition of Service Juris Day — an annual event organized by Hands On Charlotte — brought together members of the legal community in a one-day, hands-on volunteering experience on Saturday, September 10, 2016. Teams and individuals from Charlotte’s law firms and other legal service providers joined together to accomplish a large-scale project in one day.
For 2016, the recipient of the SJD volunteer effort was once again Friendship Gardens, a grassroots program that utilizes a network of community gardens to provide fresh, organically grown produce to Friendship Trays (Charlotte's Meals on Wheels program). We worked at the hub of Friendship Gardens’ operation, the Urban Farm at Garinger High School., which Service Juris Day volunteers helped build in 2013. Volunteers worked on harvesting, weeding, composting, and helping with many more “hands on” activities.
Do I have to make a donation to volunteer?
There is a suggested donation of $20 per volunteer. We also have several levels of sponsorship that will cover a certain number of volunteers. Sponsorships are fully deductible and cover the costs of the event, all supplies and equipment and support Hands On Charlotte’s thousands of volunteers in their work year-round in our community.
Service Juris Day Sponsorship Opportunities
- Platinum Sponsor ($5,000) – top line on all event promotions, speaking role at kickoff, unlimited volunteers.
- Gold Sponsor ($1,500) – unlimited volunteers, logo on all collateral material including t-shirts, website, etc.
- Silver Sponsor ($1,000) – unlimited volunteers, logo on event t-shirt.
- Bronze Sponsor ($750) – up to 35 volunteers (extras are $20 per person), logo on event t-shirt
- Team Sponsor ($500) – up to 25 volunteers (extras are $20 per person)
- Contributor – cost is $20 per volunteer.
For more information, please contact Hands On Charlotte Executive Director Eric Law at 704-333-7471 or email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: You DO NOT have to be a registered Hands On Charlotte volunteer or go to an orientation session to participate in Service Juris Day. (We do hope that you'll join us as an HOC volunteer afterwards!)
2013 Service Juris Day Video
2013 Service Juris Day Photos
2015 Service Juris Day Photos
2016 SERVICE JURIS DAY STEERING COMMITTEE
- Lex M. Erwin - Co-Chair, Erwin, Bishop, Capitano & Moss, P.A.
- Mark R. Kutny - Co-Chair, Hamilton Stephens Steele & Martin, PLLC
- Matthew Robertson, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Jason B. James, Bell, Davis & Pitt, P.A.
- Christy Hancock, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Luke P. Sbarra, Hedrick Gardner Kincheloe & Garofalo, LLP
- Ron Charlot, K&L Gates LLP
- Brian A. Kahn, McGuireWoods, LLP
- Brian A. Soja, Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Jack Slosson, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Sarah DiFranco, Poyner Spruill LLP
- Lisa M. Hoffman, Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Alysja Carllisle, Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, LLP