Become a Volunteer
Find the Volunteer Opportunity That Fits You
Hands On Charlotte offers a range of volunteer programs designed to provide everyone with the opportunity to make a difference in our community. Learn more about the different ways to get involved!
Have a few hours?
Check out our Project Calendar to find a variety of "done-in-a-day" volunteer opportunities.
Looking for more in-depth opportunities?
Search all of our volunteer opportunities to find longer-term or skills-based opportunities with our 300+ non-profit partners. You can hone your search by keyword, issue area, availability & more! In the search results, look for opportunities with time listed as "Open" to find longer-term or skills-based positions that could use your help for more than a single shift. Click on "Express Interest" at the bottom of the opportunity detail page, and our Nonprofit Partner will contact you directly with further information about the volunteer opportunity you've chosen.
I’m ready! How do I sign up?
Volunteers can sign up for projects after they complete all required steps. All volunteers pay an engagement fee. Please read the Volunteer Guidelines.
- Volunteers under age 18 must volunteer with a parent. Please see our Family program for more details.
- Parents that would like to volunteer with their children ages 6 to 17 should first read about our Family program.
- All volunteers 18 and over must be able to volunteer on their own without constant supervision.
- WE DO NOT MANAGE COURT-ORDERED VOLUNTEERS
Our program is ideal for individuals that would like to volunteer on a regular basis (at least once a month). We also have lots of options for families and small groups of adults (3 to 8 members).
Companies and organizations should visit our Corporate page.
We provide free resources for groups and individuals on the volunteer resources page.
Steps to Become a Volunteer:
- STEP ONE: Register on our web site. Click on this link to Register (creating a Hands On Charlotte account)
- STEP TWO: If you are 18 and over and would like to volunteer as an individual then sign Up for a New Volunteer Orientation session.
- STEP THREE: Pay the one-time $20 Engagement Fee.
- STEP FOUR: We process background checks AFTER you complete the orientation. Once your background check has been cleared you can sign up for any project posted on our website.
If you have any questions, please contact Doug Macomb email@example.com.