Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+, Orientation Required, Background Check
Basic Literacy & Math for Adults (18+)
Help non-traditional students (ages 18-70) with work that they are completing towards a degree. If you're patient, open to meeting new people, and maintain a "teamwork mentality", you'll do fine. Most students are at a 6th grade or lower level proficiency.
- When you arrive at the project site, the Volunteer Leader or the Learning Resource Center staff (a representative from CPCC) will help you find a student to help.
- Typically you'll either be working on math or reading. The math tends to be multiplication/ division, fractions, decimals, percentages, and area/ volume problems.
- The reading usually consists of a short story with vocabulary and comprehension questions.
- Park in the Employee/Student Parking Garage circled in the Updated CPCC Map
- Tutoring will take place in the Overcash Building, check in at room 340 -
- This project takes place on a college campus, parking is located about one block from the project site.
- CPCC provides a security escort to volunteers by calling 704 330-6632
Tips: We recommend that your key approach working with the student as a team effort - especially since you will be tutoring adults. Say something like "What are you working on? OK, let's see how WE can tackle this TOGETHER".For additional tutor resources please visit http://www.cpcc.edu/ccr/volunteer/resources/Resources#ged%20web
Students use workbooks that provide good directions for how to work through a problem.FAQ:
- Where do I get my background check? (Get Involved)
About the Organization: CPCC's College and Career Readiness department invites you to join its team as it helps others make great and small strides toward personal and professional success as a volunteer tutor. You can help an individual acquire basic reading, writing, and math skills while they prepare for the GED® exam or learn English as a second language.
Click "SIGN UP" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call (704) 371-7140
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: