Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Orientation Required, Background Check
Basic Literacy & Math for Adults (18+)
Help non-traditional students (ages 18-70) with work that they are completing towards a degree. If you're patient, open to meeting new people, and maintain a "teamwork mentality", you'll do fine. Most students are at a 6th grade or lower level proficiency.
- When you arrive at the project site, the Volunteer Leader or the Learning Resource Center staff (a representative from CPCC) will help you find a student to help.
- Typically you'll either be working on math or reading. The math tends to be multiplication/ division, fractions, decimals, percentages, and area/ volume problems.
- The reading usually consists of a short story with vocabulary and comprehension questions.
- Park in the Employee/Student Parking Garage circled in the Updated CPCC Map
- Tutoring will take place in the Overcash Building, check in at room 340 -
- This project takes place on a college campus, parking is located about one block from the project site. The address in the confirmation email is for the Parking Deck, the volunteer leader will send you specific directions.
- CPCC provides a security escort to volunteers by calling 704 330-6632
Tips: We recommend that your key approach working with the student as a team effort - especially since you will be tutoring adults. Say something like "What are you working on? OK, let's see how WE can tackle this TOGETHER"
Students use workbooks that provide good directions for how to work through a problem.FAQ: orientation process before they can attend any monthly calendar project.
About the Organization: CPCC's College and Career Readiness department invites you to join its team as it helps others make great and small strides toward personal and professional success as a volunteer tutor. You can help an individual acquire basic reading, writing, and math skills while they prepare for the GED® exam or learn English as a second language.
Click "SIGN UP" below to reserve your spot! Need help signing up? Call (704) 371-7140
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: