Age Minimum (with Adult):10+, Minimum Age:18+
Thanksgiving Day Parade Volunteers (LA, Age 18+)
Registration Deadline is Friday, November 22 at noon.
*Hands On Charlotte does not manage this project. Charlotte Center City Partners manages this volunteer project.*
Volunteers are a crucial part of producing a successful parade, so we are looking for energetic, reliable volunteers with a "can do" attitude to be a part of the Novant Health Thanksgiving Day Parade! Our volunteer needs may range from being parade marshals, unit escorts, and other event day roles.
Any volunteers who are available to help on Thanksgiving Day should be able to physically walk the one mile parade route and be comfortable standing for upwards of six hours without sitting. Please note that the parade will take place rain or shine, freezing cold temperatures or bright sunny skies.
- Balloon handlers (100 volunteers) will act as a part of a balloon team and be responsible for bringing the balloon down the parade route.
- Chaperones (25 volunteers) will be responsible for chaperoning and walking in the parade with parade units without adults.
- Check-in/disband (30 volunteers) will facilitate the check-in process for other volunteers, marching bands, and parade units. These volunteers will assist with the disbanding of parade units following the parade.
- Costumed walkers (200 volunteers) will be responsible for walking with parade units and interacting with the crowd. Costumed walkers will be required to attend a costume fitting at a local costume store, pick up the costume prior to the parade, and return the costume after the parade. If you are bringing a child, this is the only opportunity available to you.
- Marshals (25 volunteers) will ride or walk alongside parade units ensuring the parade participants safety and keeping the pace of parade among other things. Parade Marshals must be able to drive a golf cart and feel comfortable talking on a walkie-talkie.
- Security/"Ask Me" (30 volunteers) will be responsible for answering any questions spectators may have as well as ensuring the safety of the crowd and parade participants.
- Veterans (45 volunteers) will walk as part of the patriotic segment of the parade. We are looking for a large group of veterans to carry a 30 x 60 foot American flag.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older, unless accompanied by an adult. If you are bringing a child, Costumed Walker is the only volunteer opportunity available to you.
- Volunteers must wear closed toe shoes.
- Most of the volunteer opportunities require a decent amount of physical activity.
- Volunteers must be prepared to help regardless of weather conditions.
All volunteers are required to attend a training session the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, November 23rd and 24th.
Volunteer training sessions will be offered as follows:
- Saturday, November 23, 2013:
- 10:00 am
- 1:00 pm
- Sunday, November 24, 2013:
- 1:00 pm
- 4:00 pm
Please visit tinyurl.com/ParadeVolTraining to register for the volunteer training.
About the Parade:
The Novant Health Thanksgiving Day Parade, formerly known as the Carolinas' Carrousel Parade, has grown over six decades and become a celebrated tradition that kicks off the holiday season.
If you are a part of group that is interested in volunteering at the Novant Health Thanksgiving Day Parade, please email the opportunity leader, Rachel Flood, at email@example.com. Include the group name and approximate number of volunteers available.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: