Age Minimum (with Adult): 10+, Minimum Age:18+, Orientation Required, Background Check
Pet Visits - Mooresville (10+)
Activities: Volunteers bring their dogs to visit with the residents of the facility. HOC does not provide the pets.
Visiting with animals can help people feel less lonely and makes it easier for two strangers to talk. Visiting with volunteers and their pets brightens the day for the residents of this facility. Many residents at this facility once had pets of their own miss them so much. They were a part of their lives just as yours are. These visits have helped make their lives so much more fulfilled.
NOTES: this project is only available for previous Hands On Charlotte volunteers. Please see the letter on our homepage about the individual/calendar program ending this month. Here is a link to a more detailed explanation: https://uwcentralcarolinas.org/letter-to-the-community-aligning-our-volunteerism-model-for-greater-impact/
Notes: - You must bring an updated print out (paper copy) of your dog's vaccination records for Brian Center to keep on file in order to participate, sorry but an email on your smart phone will NOT work.
- this facility follows the strict HIPPA privacy laws, VOLUNTEERS CAN NOT TAKE PHOTOS OF RESIDENTS OR POST THEM ON-LINE (twitter, Facebook, snapchat, instagram, etc.)
- The pets don't need any special training or certification. They should be friendly, get along with other dogs and prepared to receive a lot of attention and praise. This project is specifically for dogs. If you have another type of pet you can contact Doug for information on visiting on your own.
- For some suggestions to see if your pet would be a good fit for this project, please visit www.tdi-dog.org (therapy dog international website);
- Please no choke collars, residents can get their hands caught and their skin is very weak.
- Retractable leashes are also not recommeded.
About the organization: Accordius Health (formerly known as the Brian Center) is a skilled nursing senior facility with about 80 residents.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: